In just about two hours we will find out if the US will advance to the Round of 16 in the World Cup. Standing in America’s way is Germany. Of course if the good ol’ red, white and blue beat Germany they will advance. According to CNN.com there are at least seven other ways the US can move on (Note: I know very little to nothing about soccer. So, I can not verify the accuracy of these scenarios. Soccer is played with a ball, right?).
- USA beats Germany
- USA ties Germany
- USA loses and Portugal ties Ghana
- USA loses by one and Portugal wins by three or less
- USA loses by two and Portugal wins by one or two
- USA loses by three and Portugal wins by one
- USA loses four to nothing and Portugal wins one to nothing
- There are additional tie-breakers based on total goals and draws
What happens between Portugal and Ghana obviously has huge implications for team USA. That match starts at 11 a.m. EST/ 10 a.m. CST. The US-Germany match starts an hour later. If you’re working from home or remotely then you probably won’t have a problem tuning in. Of course, being at works makes things a little more challenging. Click here for some suggestions on how to tune if you find yourself tethered to a desk.