2016 has a lot going for it: the Summer Olympics, more cool Space X flights, season six of Game of Thrones, and the Presidential election. What? You all just made that record scratch sound in your head, didn’t you? While Presidential campaigns often bring out our worst, Presidents themselves can inspire us to our best. Here are ten great Presidential quotes to help kick your 2016 into gear.
- “If you see 10 troubles coming down the road, you can be sure that 9 will run into the ditch before they reach you.” – Calvin Coolidge. Of all of the famous Presidential quotes, this is the one I think about at least once a month. Don’t waste time worrying about all of the things that may never happen.
- I always remember an epitaph which is in the cemetery at Tombstone, Arizona. It says: ‘Here lies Jack Williams. He done his damnedest.’ I think that is the greatest epitaph a man can have.” – Harry S. Truman. I agree with President Truman. If your friends, family, and co-workers can say that you’ve “done your damnedest”, you’re doing a good job.
- “I not only use all the brains I have but all I can borrow.” – Woodrow Wilson. No one person, no matter how brilliant, can know it all. For 2016, why not resolve to ask more questions? Who knows what you’ll learn.
- “In matters of principles, stand like a rock; in matters of taste, swim with the current.” – Thomas Jefferson. It’s all well and good to keep up with the latest business trends, but don’t ever lose sight of those core values that make your business great.
- “It’s a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word.” – Andrew Johnson. Remember this quote whenever you’re going against conventional wisdom.
- “If you’re walking down the right path and you’re willing to keep walking, eventually you’ll make progress.” – Barack Obama. It’s so easy to get frustrated with a slow pace or the number of hurdles you encounter during a big project. When you’re ready to give up, think of this quote and carry on.
- “Try and fail, but don’t fail to try” – John Quincy Adams. That’s some Yoda-level wisdom from good ‘ole John Q.
- “No one ever listened themselves out of a job.” – Calvin Coolidge. ABL: Always be listening – whether it’s to your coworkers, your customers, or even your competitors.
- “It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.” – Harry S. Truman. We’d all do a little better in 2016 if we concentrated on success, rather than credit. If our projects and businesses are successful, there will be more than enough credit to go around.
- “Tell the truth, work hard, and come to dinner on time.” – Gerald R. Ford. If, at the end of the day, you’re able to check these off the list, you’re doing it right. Do it right in 2016.
No comments yet.